Absolutism and Relativism in Advaita

Rajiv Malhotra rajiv.malhotra at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Apr 17 19:01:46 CDT 2000

I submit the idea that the transcending involved is of a kind where the
prior view is included but known to be relative only to the context within
that view. So now I wake up and know that I was dreaming, the dream is still
real but only as a dream. Therefore, the dream gets resolved when I wake up.
The dream view is sublated by the waking one. This sublation / transcendence
is not one where I forget the dream nor that I consider it never happened.
It did happen and still is valid but only in the context of being a dream.

Rajiv

-----Original Message-----
From: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
[mailto:ADVAITA-L at braincells.com]On Behalf Of Vivek Anand Ganesan
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 6:25 PM
To: ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG
Subject: Re: Absolutism and Relativism in Advaita

  Many thanks to ShrI Malhotra, ShrI Nanda Chandran and to
ShrI Swaminarayan for their replies.  I apologize for the
rather late response.  I kindly request an additional
clarification :

  a)  Upon the Advaitic realization, all conflict is put to
      rest.  So, this "knowledge" would subsume all
thoughts
      ( including the various "philosophies" ).

  b)  Until the realization dawns, there is the perception
      of difference.  Hence, at this level, Advaita as a
       philosophy is distinct ( "opposed" was an
       inappropriate term ) from other philosophies.

  c)  The **correct** understanding of scripture is
      essential to progress in the path of realization.

Using these three criteria, I concluded that Advaita is a
philosophy that is in contra-distinction ( not necessarily
"opposed" ) to Dvaita and VishishTadvaita.  What confuses
me
is that even Advaitins claim that Dvaita and
VishishTadvaita
can be "reconciled" within Advaita.  But, at what level?
If it is before the realization then Advaita is distinct
from Dvatia and VishishTadvaita.  If it is after the
realization then Advaita has been "confirmed".  Where is
the
need for reconciliation?  Is this a valid question or am I
just shooting in the wind?

Thanks,

-Vivek.

http://invites.yahoo.com