Balarama vs. Buddha (was Re: avatAra of Adishesha ?)

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 25 19:51:12 CDT 2000

>From: "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com>
>
> > I have not read the bhAgavata in its original. Has it
> > been indicated that balarAma is an avatAra of
> > Adishesha ?
> >

>According to 2.7.24 Balarama and Krishna are both avatars of Vishnu
>Bhagawan.

I remember seeing something similar i.e. Balarama was an avataar of Vishnu
bhagavan although all the stories I have heard from my childhood mention
that Balaram was an avataar of Shesh Naag.

Does the Bhagavata Puran mention the Buddha avataar? Like I had posted a few
days back in "Importance of Puranas in the Advaita tradition", when Vishnu
bhagavan has 10 avataars, when exactly was Buddha added (possibly replacing
Balaram)? This might be hard to explain when we consider that the Puranas
were written by Maharishi Ved Vyas. Again, this might not be of any ultimate
relevance but the avataar of Buddha vs. Balarama is hard to accept logically
when we consider statements like Bhagavata 2.7.24.

ashish