Hindu Trinity

Rajiv Malhotra rajiv.malhotra at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Thu Apr 27 15:02:08 CDT 2000

The sustainer is worshipped even though there was no creation to sustain.
Hence, what he sustains is an illusion, as you indicate. Likewise, the
destroyer destroys the illusion, not some real absolute world.

By the same logic, the creator is the one who creates this ILLUSION. This is
what I called the virtual reality. So since the creation, sustenance, and
dissolution is about a virtual or illusory world, each has comparable
status.

You cannot apply different standards to the three.

Rajiv Malhotra

-----Original Message-----
From: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
[mailto:ADVAITA-L at braincells.com]On Behalf Of Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 11:21 AM
To: ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG
Subject: Re: Hindu Trinity

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Rajiv Malhotra wrote:

> By the logic below that there is no creator and hence no need to worship
the
> creator, one should also conclude that there is no universe to sustain or
> destroy since one never got created in the first place. Hence, there is no
> need to worship either sustainer or destroyer.

Not so. One can worship Shiva as the destroyer of ignorance, since the
worship of a separate deity itself presupposes ignorance, which must be
destroyed.

One can also worship VishhNu as the supreme reality, since the sustainer
is the reality (of the perceived world, which is neither real nor unreal).

But in the practice of advaita, is there any need to create something anew?
Why worship a creator, so to speak?

[..]

> Regards,
>
> Rajiv