A question on Sahasravati

Mon Aug 7 12:18:17 CDT 2000

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Surjit Dixit wrote:

> Dear members of the list,
> Namaskar. I would sincerely appreciate if anybody on this list could
> kindly enlighten me on the significance

That's an interesting question.  There are some numbers that are
considered 'lucky' in our culture, 18 (parvanas of the Mahabharata,
Mahapuranas, vidyas), 108, 1008.  Why?  They all end in 8.  They all start
with 1.  Could 8 represent the 8 directions (i.e. the physical world) and
1 the one Brahman that pervades it?  That's pure guesswork on my part.

> of the number 1008 or 108 japam that we are asked to perform. For
> instance, I have a bead string of 108,
> would it be equivalent to performing a Sahasravati if I do 10*108 ?
> I thank you for your time.

No you have to do 1008 which is 9 and a 1/3 malas.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.