Notes on Brahmasuutra-1

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Sun Aug 20 17:14:53 CDT 2000

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Vishal Agarwal wrote:

> VA: In various other works, I have seen 'Parashara Upapurana' also cited as
> the source of this verse. I have not read the Padma/Skanda/Parashara Puranas
> but one text where I have seen this verse POSITIVELY is the Brahmanda
> Purana. I forget the address but the verse occurs at the end of the chapters
> dealing with the Vedic Shakhas, characteristics of Brahmanas and Mantras
> etc. Maybe you could pick up the MLBD translation (in 4 volumes) and locate
> the same by looking at the index (look for the description of Vedic shakhas
> etc.)

I checked a printed version of that Purana (Krishnadas Sanskrit Series
#41, Varanasi, printed by Chowkhamba Press), but `alpAxaramasandigdham.h'
isn't in it, which is not surprising.  The editions of the Puranas vary
widely (and sometimes wildly! -- think `ravivAre cha Sunday cha' and the
Gita Press), and nowadays most of them are started with the `nArAyaNaM
namaskR^itya naraM chaiva narottamam.h' verse, which does not occur in any
pre-15th cent. Puranic manuscript.  (It also is the *second* verse of the
Mahabharata, not the first, on the evidence of the Kerala manuscripts of
the Mahabharata.)

Regards,

Shrisha Rao

--