Shri Rudram 2.8

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 21 18:10:39 CDT 2000

 line.]

          || AUM namo bhagavate rudrAya ||

   atha namaka-dvitIyaanuvAke aShTamaM yajurAha

   namaH sUtAyAhantyAya vanAnAM pataye namaH || 8 ||

  Salutations to the charioteer (sUtAya), who is impossible to be killed,
  (ahantyAya), and salutations to the protector of forests
  (vanAnAM pataye).

  sAyaNAchArya's commentary:
  --------------------------
  sUtaH sArathistasmai | ahantyAya vairibhirhantumashakyastAdR^ishAya
  rudrAya namo .astu | yo vanAnAM pAlakastasmai rudrAya namo .astu ||

  (Salutations) to sUta - the charioteer. May salutations be to that
  Rudra whom enemies find it impossible to kill. May salutations be to
  Rudra, the protector of the forests.

 Note:

 According to BhaTTa-bhAskara, Rudra is called the sUta or sArathi
 because He is the driver of the world in the form of the chariot,
 "jagadyantrAtmano rathasya niyantR^itvena". Or He is sUta because
 He is the narrator of purANas at the beginning of a Yuga, yadvA
 purANAnAM vaktA tadadhiShThAne yugAdau. Or He is sUta, the soma juice
 extracted for Vedic sacrifices, yadvA sUtAya-abhiShutasomAtmane.

 "I alone am everthing"- this is the meaning of "ahantA" and "ahantya"
 is He who has that understanding. "ahameva sarvamiti bhAvo .ahantA
 tatra bhavo .ahantyaH.

 vanAnAM patiH can also mean He who protects the cremation grounds,
 shmashAnAnAM patiH.

     || AUM namo bhagavate rudrAya ||

 Anand

--