mithyatva

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 16 14:01:32 CST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:44:19 -0600, Ravi <msr at COMCO.COM> wrote:

>The silver-nacre example leads to prove that the world is real. I
>am able to appreciate the point of view of nyayika-s (post
>8).  In that example, both silver and nacre are real by
>themselves. The problem is of mis-perception or
>mis-conception.  Post 8 says that this example should not be
>extended to world-brahman. Even if it has to be argued at each
>entity level in the world, ultimately, one will have wrong
>relation formed between two relata-s (A and B). Like A is silver
>and B nacre, or A snake and B rope. This argument will end up
>proving only world is indeed real. Of course, one can cleverly
>define mithyatva, but does that solve the fundamental
>problem? Can you explain? It is like saying world is mithya
>according to my definition of mithyatva.
>
>I have a more fundamental question. Is world mithya is a matter
>of faith or logic. If is purely a rational thing, I donot think
>nyayika-s or dvaitins are so intellectually challenged not to
>appreciate it.

 The very basic tenets of advaita are nicely captured in this verse
 from the VedAnta-DiNDima:

  brahma satyaM jaganmithyA jIvo brahmaiva nAparaH |
  jIvanmuktastu tadvidvAn.h iti vedAnta-DiNDimaH   ||

 Brahman is real, the world is unreal, and the jIva is Brahman alone,
 not anything else. And one who knows this is a jIvanmukta (liberated
 while living).
 **This is the proclamation (literally drum-beat) of VedAnta.**

 The words "iti vedAnta-DiNDImaH", the proclamation of VedAnta, are
 very important here. Whatever tenet of advaita there is, it *has* to
 follow from VedAnta.

 Accepting the Brahman as satya and the world as mithyA are NEITHER
 based on logic alone NOR on faith alone. They are proclaimed loudly
 by numerous shruti texts. Now, when we accept shruti texts coming
 from a Guru, there is a certain amount of faith involved. But it is
 not just faith alone. We have to convince ourselves that what we are
 accepting on faith is NOT illogical or absurd. There is thus a need
 for some inquiry into what we accept on faith. At the same time,
 we have to be careful not to carry logic too far so that it
 challenges the validity of shruti. This would be resorting to "kutarka"
 or bad logic. And the reason why logic has to yield to shruti is
 because in matters concerning Brahman (and dharma as well) the shruti
 is the highest authority. So using logic so that we arrive at conclusions
 in accordance with shruti is to be encouraged while using logic to arrive
 at conclusions opposed to shruti is a waste of time, at best.

>I do believe that world is not what we think it is. Everything is
>permeated with God. It is God alone. Of course this is faith. I
>understand/justify my misperception of the world like this.
>
>Take a solid steel plate. At the level of our eye resolution and
>our scale it is a solid chunk. We make structures out of it. But
>if I become a being of the size of say electron, then to me it
>will be 80% or more empty space. As every atom but for the
>concentrated nucleus is just an empty space. May be if I look at
>it as a field, it may be a type of energy field. So depending on
>the scale and level of resolution, I see different things. Like
>wise, an ignorant being like Ravi sees the world at level where
>every thing is solid and real and Ravi does not see it as
>brahman. OTOH a jnAni like Ramana sees it as brahman only. Again
>it is ravi's perception or understanding of Ramana's perception.
>
>What is mithya here? At every level, what one sees is
>real. Except at the level of jnani, were he resolves the whole
>stuff and sees it as brahman.

 As per shruti texts such as "neha nAnAsti kiJNchana", any manifold-
 ness or variety is being denied reality. And this manifold-ness is
 exactly mithyA. No amount of logic can negate what the shruti says
 just as even a hundred shruti statements cannot make a fire cold.
 Each pramANa, be it inference, perception, or shruti, has its own
 sphere where it dominates over other pramANas. Just as no amount
 of logical inference can make us accept fire as being cold, and we
 accept perception in this case, we have to accept the shruti when
 it denies reality to manifoldness.

>Depending on what we assume, we can prove or disprove
>something. Having undergone tortorous proofs in functional
>analysis and differential geometry, I will safely say, one can
>easily make a circular argument. That is assume something, and
>after hunder steps prove the same thing in disguise.
>
>I am sorry if I have offended the sentiments of some. At this
>level, I see that  brahma satyam and jagan mithya as an element
>of faith.

 It could be taken as based on faith but that is not where the shruti
 wants us to stop. We should make sure what we accept from the shruti
 is inquired into and contemplated upon. After all, the upanishhad says:
 "AtmA vA are drashhTavyaH shrotavyo mantavyo nididhyAsitavyo" and
"Atmano vA are darshanena shravaNena matyA viGYAnenedaM sarvaM viditam.h"

 Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org