Itrans encoding of Sanskrit (Re: Experiencing...)

Sankaran Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Sun Feb 20 12:33:39 CST 2000

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, elmec wrote:

[..]

> VijnAtAramarE kEna vijAnIyAt  -  Bri 2-3-14
>
> I may have erred in many places in my enthusiasm to put forward my
> opinion. Kindly excuse. The new kind of notation which you all use while
> quoting Sanskrit shlokas in English is new to me

Most people here are using the "Itrans" way of encoding Sanskrit words in
English. You can find the code at the URL:

http://www.aczone.com/itrans/dvng/node3.html

Basically, the Sanskrit alphabet becomes:
-----------------------------
a  A(or aa)  i  I(or ii)  u  U(or uu)  R^i  R^I  e  ai  o  au  aM  aH

k       kh         g    gh      N^
ch      Ch(or chh) j    jh      JN
T       Th         D    Dh      N
t       th         d    dh      n
p       ph         b    bh      m

y  r  l  v  sh  Sh(or shh)  s  h

kSh(or x)  tr  GY
-----------------------------

The only problem I find while using the above convention while referring
to Sanskrit texts in a discussion where the medium of communication is
English, is that in English, proper nouns have their first letter
capitalized, and applying this rule to a Sanskrit name may sometimes
distort the meaning. For example, I write "Shankara" following the
English way, since the rest of the sentence is in English, and it makes
sense to capitalize a proper noun, although this does injustice to the
Itrans system, where the name should really read "shankara."

[..]

-Kartik

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam