Dreams and Awakening <fwd>

Ravi msr at COMCO.COM
Mon Feb 21 11:27:51 CST 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:52:50 +0530
From: elmec <elmec at giasbg01.vsnl.net.in>
To: Ravi <msr at comco.com>
Subject: (no subject)

As I was reading the back log I found this piece of writing and thought
it interesting to comment upon it. If this is suitable, you can post it
to the list.

Ashish wrote :

But here is my confusion. The dream causes the one who is chased by a
tiger
to wake up. Gyana  directly causes the removal of Avidya. THAT IS ONLY
THE PERSON IN THE DREAM (as also to the person in the realm of avidya).
the realized Self, there is no awakening. But what to the one who is
being
dreamt of ? To say that he doesn't exist just doesn't cut it. Seems like
one
does have to *get* to a stage to say something like I alone exist.

thanks
ashish

Ashish asks “ but what to the one who is being dreamt of ? “

Once we wake up from our dream the whole dream world along with all the
persons in it are gone. They never were there in the first place. It was
just an imaginative world that our mind conjured up when we were asleep.
Similarly, when we wake up to the Truth of EkamevAdvitIyaha, we realise
that the whole world that we see in this wakefulness is but my own
creation, created out of our ignorance. The chetana that is in me has
conjured up this magical world for me. Once I ( this dEhi) die the whole
world dies along with me. If you argue that even after the death of
someone  we still are living in the same world which was the world of
that dead person also, it is not technically correct. What I say now is
encompassed within my chetana. That dead person is included in my
chetana. Whatever I talk about myself and others is all in the purview
of my knowledge. Can I imagine any thing which is not encompassed by MY
knowledge ? To prove that the world of that dead person is still there,
the words have to come from that dead person !
To put into a concrete example : My grand mother passed away about 20
years ago. But if I argue that I see this world  still existing even
after her  passing away so many years ago , who is talking here ? Me ?
or My Granny ??

Hence the existence/non-existence of this world is purely a matter of my
chetana.  I alone exist and everyone exists inside my chetana. I don’t
have to **reach** another stage to realise this.

Regards,
Hari Om,
Latha Vidyaranya

--