karma yoga

Anand Natarajan anandn at MYWORLDMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 4 11:33:04 CST 2000

Here are some notable quotations on Karma Yoga by great saints.

" Be like the first class passenger.The first class passenger on getting down from the train keeps his luggage in the cloak roam and roams the city without a load. There is one who is looking after the world. He carries your load and also the load of the world. The wise thing is to keep your load of life on Him and be free".

"Jagata Ishadhi Yuktha sevanam
 Ashta Murthi Brith deva pujanam".
"Serve the world being attached to God
This world is His 8 fold form and thus you worship Him."

-Sri Ramana Maharshi

This is easier said than done. Here is an example.
Girish Chandra Ghosh, the famous disciple of
Sri Ramakrishna was earlier a drunkard. He refused to do any systematic sadhana.
Sri Ramakrishna then asked him "In that case, give me your power of authority. I will do all your sadhana. I will act for you " . Girish was overjoyed . He readilly gave his power of authority thinking now he can lead a carefree life and that all his responsibilities now belonged to Sri Ramakrishna.
This was true, but in the years that followed, Girish found that "For every act he performed , he had to seek permission from his Guru. His addiction to opium he left in 3 days. He left all his attachment to drinking. Even when his dear relatives passed away, he could not show sorrow, as who was he to react. All his actions had been once and for all surrendered".

Finally I like to quote from Swami Vivekananda.
" You cannot help the world. You can only worship. Do you think that even an ant will die for want of your help ? Most arrant nonsense. When you give a loaf of bread to a dog you worship that dog as God ! So do not stand in a high pedestal and give 5 cents, but be thankful that there is that man  whom you may serve by giving 5 cents."

Anand

SVALPAM APYASYA DHARMASYA THRAYATE MAHATO BHAYATH
"Even a Bit of this Dharma will overcome great fear " - Bhagavad Gita Ch 2