Vedanta and intellect (was Re: Some Vedic sacrifices of this century)

Tue Jan 4 12:37:06 CST 2000

Ravisankar Mayavaram <miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>When you have time, can you elobarate on it?  Also, if the rewards
>continue to accrue even after dedicating it to God, will not the cycle
>of karma go on and on. Especially with respect to nitya and naimittika
>karma-s, one is in a fix! It can not be abandoned and if doing it comes
>after you (even after offering the fruits to God), indeed one is in a
>quandary. May be then sannyAsa is the only way out!

When the stage is reached for sannyAsa, yes. The catch with the nitya and
naimittika karmas is that they are not binding upon him who has realized
fully that he is not a doer. Indeed, nishkAmya karma is only prescribed for
him who does not yet have that realization. This involves performing one's
karma, dedicating it to God. That the fruits will still adhere to the doer
should be no cause for concern. The discipline of karma yoga will provide
the equanimity to take the good results with the bad, to reach the stage
that is called samadRshTi. Once that maturity of mind is reached, the
person has one of the qualifications for sannyAsa, involving a total
renunciation of works.

>I hope you will find time to resume you gita-series in the coming year.

Yes, I do plan to resume the series later in the year.

Vidyasankar

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org