svadharma

Ravisankar Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 20 07:15:43 CST 2000

svadharma denotes one's dharma according to the varNa and Ashrama in
life as laid down by shaastra-s.

What is the recourse if one is unable to follow it?

I think sharaNagati is an answer.  Unable to follow his svadharma,
confused and helpless, does not arjuNa surrender to God saying maam
tvaam prapannam! (verse kaarpaNya doshho ...). Sometime back I asked
the list how advaita-vedanta perceives and understands sharaNaagati.
The message of giitaa is God will come as guidance and rescue to those
who surrender and enable them to do their svadharma and lead them to
moxa.

Please share your knowledge on this subject.

Ravi