pramanAs

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 7 10:09:34 CDT 2000

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:55:47 EDT, S. V. Subrahmanian
<svs_shankara at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>OM.
>
>Shri Anandji and Shri VidyaShankarji (anybody else who may be able to
>answer):
>
>I am reading Vidyaranya's introduction to Upanishads, as translated by Sri
>Alladi Mahadeva* Shastry.  He indulges in a discussion of the pramanAs.  I
>would like to know in detail about the discussions on the pramanAs and
their
>validity (or invalidity).
>
>Have any one of you written about it ?  Or is there is a standard text
(like
>Shankara's works) where they are discussed and invalidated in a cogent
>argument ?  Also, the author says that the 3 pramaNAs are pratyakSa,
anumana
>and 'Agama'.  Is 'Agama' the same as 'sabda' pramanA (doesn't seem like) ?

 I had written on Shankara's views of pramANas a while back. Please
 see:

 http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/m1747.html

 MadhusUdana's advaita-siddhi also deals with the issue of validity
 of pramANas, but we have a lot of material to cover before we
 get there.

 Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam