Sparsha diiksha.

T Swaminarayan tvswaminarayan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 12 10:53:25 CDT 2000

--- elmec <elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Hello all :
> > --- ShrImati Vidyaranya wrote:
> > > shishya. The
> > > diksha can also be a "sparsha diksha" - by his
> touch of
> > > hand or feet,
> >
> >   This is most interesting!  I remember reading
> about a
> > similar episode in the life of Swami Vivekananda.
> In that,
> > ShrI Ramakrishna took Vivekananda to Samadhi by
> pressing
> > on the left side of his chest.  Is such a means of
> diksha
> > substantiated anywhere?  What is the significance
> of the
> > left side of ones chest?  Is that why the sacred
> thread is
> > also worn on the left shoulder passing the left
> side of
> > ones
> > chest?
> >

> Hari Om,
>
> Before discussing diksha, just one more point on the
> meaning of the word
> "Guru".
> It means 'weighty'. Here Guru is one who possesses
> the weight of the
> inward experience of the Self. It is our attitude of
> 'sharanaagathi' to
> the Guru which procures us the Jnaana.
>
> Regarding Sparsha diksha :
>
> Kabirdas was a muslim ( people also say that he was
> born a Hindu , but
> was brought up by muslim parents ). He longed to get
> upadesha from Sri
> Ramaananda whom he considered as his Guru. But he
> dared not ask him for
> upadesha as he was a muslim. He worked out a plan .
> One early morning
> when it was still dark, he lay down on the steps of
> the ghats of Ganga
> where the saint Ramaananda usually came to take
> bath. On that morning
> due to darkness the saint unwittingly stepped over
> Kabir and when he
> realised it was a human being that he had stepped
> on, he uttered the
> words " Raama Raama " in remorse, as is customary
> for us to cry out
> either "Rama Rama" or "Shiva Shiva" as atonement for
> the sin committed.
> Immediately Kabirdas got up and prostrated the Guru
> and went away
> satisfied with the taataka mantra that the Guru had
> unintentionally
> bestowed upon him by way of "Sparsha diksha" ! That
> too the Charana
> sparsha of Guru on one's head  is considered highly
> potential. That is
> why Guru paadukaas are carried on one's head with
> reverence.
>
> Regards,
> Latha
>
> ( the information contained in this and the previous
> message has various
> sources and the main source was the book " Voice of
> the Guru " by H H
> Pujyashri Chandrasekara Saraswathi swamiji of

Dear List members,

Whilst on the subject of Sparsha Diksha of great
Gurus, I would like to post the case of my father who
has told us that he got his Diksha from his guru known
as "Narmade Har Babaji" who was always doing parikrama
of the river Narmada and who only preached to people
who came to him. My father knew no sanskrit and had
been initiated into Advaitic philosophy by his Guru
Babaji.
One day, it seems,Babaji told my father that he should
preach,to which my father told him that he could not
preach since he did not know sanskrit and all the
upanishad mantras.Thereupon Babaji just touched my
father's shoulder with his right palm and said,"You
Know" and he  instantly Knew!!

 I have heard my father quoting from all the major
upanishads and explaining to those who came to him for
a discussion ,talk or advice.

This is what is "Sparsha Diksha" given by an
enlightened Guru.

Some time later my father has also told us that Babaji
was actually asked to take up a very very senior
position in the Shringeri Muth which Babaaji refused
and continued his paarikrama of Narmadaji.

I myself have had the good fortune of meeting this
Babaji sometime on the banks of the river Naramada and
heard him explain the Patanjali Sutras to us.

May the Guru's grace be upon all his deciples.

Hari Om!

Swaminarayan.

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l.html