One simple question (Anybody ?)

elmec elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Jul 20 23:12:32 CDT 2000

"S. V. Subrahmanian" wrote:

> Dear members,
>
> I had a discussion with a shishyA of a well-known AchAryA (names
> unnecessary) and the topic delved into Advaita and Guru-shishya parampara.
> I am NOT asking as if I have stumbled upon a paradox hitherto unknown.  I am
> sure some AchArya has answered this convincingly long ago.  Just that I
> don't know it.
>
> What is the motivation for a Guru (assuming he is enlightened, attained
> "advaita") to continue the parampara ?  A Guru who does not see the shishya
> as separate anymore, how can he teach ?  I heard 3 expalanations.  I am not
> completely satisfied with it.  I will present them here.  Could anyone
> amplify/clarify ?
>
> 1.  Even though Guru has attained enlightenment, his body has to undergo the
> necessary prarabda karma it has come with like a wheel that will continue
> rotating for sometime even after external force has been withdrawn.  But if
> you liken enlightenment to waking up from a dream (which many wise men
> have), and imagine that a man had taken a loan from another person in the
> dream (like prarabda).  If he wakes up, does he have to enter the dream
> again to pay the loan (prarabda).  Don't we have various scriptures saying
> that knowledge destroys all karmas instantly ?

Hari Om,

Let me also try to answer from what little knowledge I have gained. Learned
members, kindly excuse my impertinence.

The moment Realisation dawns upon the Saadhaka, there is no question of any sort
of balance of karma still to be endured by him.  It is only the vyaavaharika
mind of the ajnaani which conjures up this explanation. When the Truth is
Ekameevaadvitiiyam, where is the question of kartr^i, karma or the phala ?

> 2.  Another explanation is that the Guru, does it more as Leela (sport) as
> opposed to doing it with a motivation.  Like an actor on a stage, who
> continues to act, even after he is aware that he is not the character
> anymore.  But in that example there is still a feeling of difference ie.,
> other characters, audience etc.  So that feeling of difference, might keep
> the actor going, in which case, it is not highest of attainments.

The jnaani has stopped acting. He rests in his true Self. There is no stage, no
director nor audience to witness the drama anymore. But it is the maaya which
still envelopes the shishya which makes him think that the Guru continues to
help him to cross over the ocean of samsaara. When the shishya also crosses
over, he too realises that there was no ocean at all in the first place , nor
was this boat in the form of body, nor the boatman in the form of Guru. "
Ishwaro Gururaatmeeti moorthybedhavibhaagine............"

> 3.  The 3rd explanation I heard was that realization only removes
> "jnanAdhyasa", but the "arthAdhyasa" can still remain. I just can imagine
> how the latter can exist without the former.

The jnaani realises that it was all aadhyaaropa apavaada. The slate was clean.
Someone worked out problems on it. When the problem got solved, the writing on
it was erased and the slate was once again declared " clean " !

> If anyone has time, please clarify.

My answers may not have solved your doubt. If they have not entangled it even
more, I am saved !

> Regards.
> S. V. Subrahmanian.

Regards,