Question on Advaita (Women in Advaita Vedanta)

T Swaminarayan tvswaminarayan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 24 21:01:29 CDT 2000

Dear Shri Agarwal,

Your posting on the role of women in Vedanta is very
well researched and I will have to read it a couple of
more times to appreciate, assimilate  and understand
the coverage.It is thoughtful of you to have posted
your response to the List.

Kindly expand i.b.i.d. please for me?

Regards ,

Swaminarayan.

http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l.html

> [...]
> portion, not in the Mantra portion)
> 5. "The husband alone is a wife’s honour."
> Shatapatha Brahmana 2.6.2.14
> 6. "A wife should seek to reside in her household
> alone." Shatapatha
> Brahmana 3.3.1.10. The last
> two statements are to be understood in the light of
> the reply that Sukanya
> gave to the handsome
> twins Ashwin Kumaras, who teased her for having an
> old and blind husband and
> asked her to
> marry one of them- "My father betrothed me to my
> Husband and I will not
> leave him as long
> as he lives." Shatapatha Brahmana 4.1.5.9
> 7. "The Brahmana texts say- Do not eat food cooked
> by a woman in her
> menses."
> Vasishtha Dharma sutra 5.8
>
> The Brahmana texts however, also contain statements
> praising women. For
> instance:
>
> 1. " He who does not have a wife is not entitled to
> sacrifice to the Devas."
> Taittiriya Brahmana 2.2.2.6
> 2. "A wife is indeed one half of one’s Atman."
> Taittiriya Brahmana 3.3.3.5
> 3. "Women verily are an embodiment of splendour."
> ibid 2.9.4.7
> 4. "A woman never kills" Shatapatha Brahmana
> 6.3.1.39 In the Shanti Parvan
> of the Mahabharata,
> Bhishma Pitamaha clarifies that women are not
> naturally inclined to commit
> sins, but their neglect
> by bad husband forces them to commit evil acts in
> order to survive.
> Therefore, women never sin
> on their own and are always pure.
>
> Coming to the Puranas, I referred to the Vayu,
> Brahma, Vishnu and portions
> of the
> Srimadabhagvat Puranas but could find only the
> following famous verse:
>
> "Since the three Vedas cannot be learnt by women,
> Shudras and the twice born
> (by mere birth,
> not learning), the Sage Veda Vyasa composed the
> story of Mahabharata out of
> compassion
> for them." Bhagvata Mahapurana 1.4.25
>
> Contrarily, I found several tales in the Puranas in
> praise of women. For
> instance, the Vishnu
> Purana records a tale in which the Sages assemble on
> the banks of a river,
> waiting for Veda
> Vyasa to come out of water after completing his
> meditation. The reverend
> sage comes out
> and utters: "In the Kali Age, women will be superior
> to men" and goes into
> water again. After
> a while, he emerges again and utters: "In the Kali
> Age, the Shudras will be
> superior to the
> twice born." and goes into water again. He finally
> completes his meditation
> and emerges from
> the river, whereupon the Sages ask him the meaning
=== message truncated ===