Delicate and sharp path !

Thu Jul 27 00:42:49 CDT 2000

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, S. V. Subrahmanian wrote:

> Smt. Lataji wrote (in the thread Women in Vedanta):
>
> When one treads this delicate but sharp path of
> advaita, one should actually wear blinkers like a horse and walk just
> looking ahead !
>
> Question:
>
> I have heard these statements often.  Can you explain why you call advaita a
> delicate, but sharp path ?  I have heard these statements with reference to
> Kundalini Yoga.  If you say distractions are many, then that is true of any
> venture - researcher in a lab, parent bringing up the child, builder
> constructing a bridge - all require sharp focus on the goal.  Why are we
> mystifying spiritual path alone so much -:) ?
>
> The reason I am saying is that I have seen many weak minds who have mild
> interest in religion, instead of being encouraged to develop the strength
> needed to pursue the spiritual path, instead get discouraged and lose
> whatever strength they have.  The moment they read such statements they say
> - Oh! Baapre, this is not for me !!!

If people are weak-minded we are doing them a disservice by dropping them
into something which requires great powers of mind.  We should be honest
about what's involved.  Obfuscation may temporarily gain followers but in
the end it harms them as well as us.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.