Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

Wed Jun 7 16:18:28 CDT 2000

nanda chandran <vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>epistemology. They concentrate on the subject of the validity of the
>pramAnas - the means of knowing. An ontological reading on these texts
>naturally winds up in wholescale misinterpretation.

Which is precisely why one should not read the Mahayana texts as implying an
ontological absolute. And one should not read an implication of a substratum
on which negation takes place. Mahayana epistemology does not need such a
substratum. More about ontology and epistemology in another post.

>And if you read the chapter in the MulamAdhyamika KArika where he examines
>pratitya samutpAda, he says all that is dependently originated are in
>reality, pure and calm - the anti thesis of shUnya.

If nirvANa is SUnya, and nirvANa is also pure and calm, why is purity and
calmness the antithesis of SUnyatA?

>Not so. JayarAshi is not the run of the mill ChAravAka. He is an absolute
>nihilist who denies the validity of *all* pramAnas. In his
>Tattvopaplavasimha, he devotes a whole chapter to deny perception as a
valid
>pramAna.

That is interesting. In which case, it would perhaps be wrong to call him a
cArvAka in the first place.

>So why does GaudapAdAchArya say that you need "being", to even give meaning
>to the four fold negation? Isn't he trying to point out that for the
>MAdhyamika to be logically consistent, he needs to be absolutistic?

You don't seem to understand. This is a subtle criticism of Madhyamaka, and
precisely because its adherents by and large refuse to accept an absolutism.

Let us leave ontology and epistemology and absolutism and relativism aside
for a while, and look at how Gaudapada and Sankara treat Madhyamaka thought.

If as you claim, Nagarjuna himself accepts the absolutistic interpretation,
there are only two possibilities with respect to Gaudapada.

1. Later Buddhists shied away from Nagarjuna's absolutism. Gaudapada
   tried to show these later Buddhists that their own logic demands
   an absolutism, in order to be consistent. In other words, he told
   the Buddhists of his day to return to Nagarjuna. Strangely enough,
   he did this in a Vedantic text.
2. Gaudapada either completely misunderstood Madhyamaka thought, or
   borrowed it wholesale.

As for Sankara's criticism of the school in his brahmasUtra bhAshya, there
is only one possibility. If, on your showing, the Madhyamaka does accept an
absolutism, Sankara's criticism that it does not, must have been based on a
complete misunderstanding of that school. If you have a different way of
understanding these texts, do enlighten us.

To be continued,
Vidyasankar

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam