significance of anadhyayana

B.J. Ganesh prasad bjganeshprasad at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 18 04:23:47 CDT 2000

OM,

jyotishya gives a verse

Ashtami cha gurum hanthi shishyam hanthi chaturdashi
pournimi cha ubhayam hanthi pratipat paatha naashini.

ashtami kills the guru, shishya on chaturdashi, poornima kills both, while
pratipat kills the paatha.

A practise of sringeri mutt and its tradition is that, this applies only to
new lessons started on that day, there is no harm if an old lesson is
repeated.

And "vedam nityamadhiyataam"... is true, and the process of anadhyaya
applies only to learning something a new
not repeating the vedas learnt or for svadhyaya.

parashara, tells the reason for this, it is due to a story found in
theAITAREYA BRAHMANA.

HARIOM,
GP