Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta

Sankaran Panchapagesan panchap at ICSL.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jun 26 19:00:48 CDT 2000

Hi Nanda,

>"Use the self as your lamp, as your guide, ...", "Abide in
> your self", etc.

T.R.V.Murti says in his book ("The Central Philosophy of Buddhism") that
this is a *very* biased and distorted translation. What the Buddha means
is rather, "have yourself alone as your lamp, your guide" (i.e. be
independent).

No position need be read into my statement above or in fact, in my earlier
correction of your confusion between Anandagiri and anantAnandagiri. I am
just making whatever small contributions I can. (though they might be
unworthy of the great jnAna tradition of the past :-) sorry, couldn't
resist that).

Regards,
Ganesh.

--