Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta

Sankaran Panchapagesan panchap at ICSL.UCLA.EDU
Mon Jun 26 19:41:40 CDT 2000

> >T.R.V.Murti says in his book ("The Central Philosophy of Buddhism") >that
> >this is a *very* biased and distorted translation. What the >Buddha means
> >is rather, "have yourself alone as your lamp, your guide" >(i.e. be
> >independent).
>
> This is what I absolutely dislike. So is that TRV Murti's final conclusion -
> that the Buddha taught that there's no self?

Let me quote from your e-mail to Anand:

>"On the contrary there're numerous places where he teaches the existence
>of the self. For e.g., in the DhammapAda itself he says, "the Self is the
>lord of the self", "Use the self as your lamp, as your guide, ...",
>"Abide in your self", etc."

My appeal to T.R.V.Murti's authority was in the matter of translation
alone. He takes special pains to correct the mis-translation by
Mrs.Rhys-Davis (if I remember right).

And did I say that the Buddha

You said:
        "On the contrary there're numerous places where he teaches the
existence of the self."

You say now:

> Why I pointed out those verses is to show that the Buddha taught the
> existance of the self as well as anatta. So reading "no self" in Buddha's
> teaching, is not that straightforward.

Your argument ("On the contrary there're numerous places where he teaches
the existence of the self.") seems to rely on a *mistranslation*.

If you cannot bring out a constructive full
> fledged argument, keep out of the discussion and don't quote partially and
> out of context and confuse the readers.

I agree with many of the arguments in your posts. I don't agree with some
based on what I've read. If I joined in with detailed replies to your
posts which I would like to do, it would require the kind of time I don't
have now.

Ganesh.

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam