Is gItA an Upanishad?

S. V. Subrahmanian svs_shankara at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 27 10:18:38 CDT 2000

A few questions:

1.  Shruti is that which was "shrutam" (heard, as it were) by God-realized
beings (Rishis).  If that be the broad defintion of Shruti then, can we say
that every utterance of a God-realized person is really Shruti for one who
is one with God, there is no separate identity, in which case when he speaks
God speaks, which for the hearers is Shruti.  Does it work that way ??

2.  If Shruti is supposed have to emanated from Brahman, how different is it
if Brahman in the form of Krishna uttered the GIta.  Would the very fact
that it comes from Krishna qualify it for the status of Shruti ??

3.  How come the process of "shrutam" has stopped ?  There are God-realized
beings even in this age (may not be as many as before).  Why did none of
them either "retrieve" lost shruti or cognize more and give it to mankind ??
  Or, are we missing it because it is not in Sanskrit ??

4.  In the Narayana Upanishad (not MahAnArayana), there is a verse which
says:
"brahmanyo devaki putro, brahmanyo madhusudhanom".
It clearly talks about Krishna.  In which case this must have been cognized
after the advent of Krishna, which means the process of cognition was active
even just before the beginning of the Kali yuga.  Is it a curse of the Kali
age not to be able to cognize the Vedas ??

5.  Who decides what is Shruti and what is not ?  Are we going by a
classification made by Shankara or some authority in the past ?  If it is by
Shankara then clearly there must have been some misconceptions before that
would have been cleared up by Shankara.  Agreed.  Now, is that
classification static ??  Can't anything be added to it (not in the
conventional sense of adding a chapter to a book), ie., can't anybody else's
cognition be recognized as Shruti and included in the main body of Vedas ??

6.  Are we being too conservative in our defintion/recognition of what is
Shruti and what is not ??