Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?

Mon Mar 13 16:41:41 CST 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Ravisankar Mayavaram wrote:

> This immediately prompted a question. Can God pull a jiiva out of the
> bondage? say by granting krama mukti. From my understanding of what was
> discussed here in the past, God's role is restricted only to give karma
> phala, and  krama mukti is not earned as karma phala.

Yes.  Because God would be truly unjust if he created certain creatures
only in order to punish them or favored some over the others.

> But God can give a setting which is conducive to awakening of knowledge as
> karma phala, which may result in liberation. Even though not directly, God
> can influence it indirectly. But still the step to seek that jnaana is  in
> the realm of jiiva's purushhaakara.
>
> Is this a correct understanding of advaita-vedAnta's position?  If so,
> does this not contradict with giitaa ?

No.  In the Gita Bhagawan says he will accept all those who come to him.
Seemingly easy enough to do but all to often ignorance and
short-sightedness interpose themselves.  Take the case of Duryodhana.
When all diplomatic efforts had failed and war between the Kauravas and
Pandavas became inevitable, both sides rushed to form alliances with the
other nations.  Duryodhana and Arjuna arrived at Dwarka at the same time
and were received by Krishna Bhagawan.  Krishna Bhagawan offered these two
choices, either the entire army of the Yadavas, battle-trained and fully
equipped for war.  Or himself alone.  Furthermore He would not fight but
merely act as a charioteer.  As he had been seen first, Duryodhana was
offered the first choice.  Duryodhana instantly chose the army and
departed satisfied he had gotten the better end of the bargain.

If Duryodhana did not hear the Gita instead of Arjuna was it Bhagawans
fault?  Or was it due to his own lack of discrimination?

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.