Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?

elmec elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon Mar 20 21:37:13 CST 2000

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, elmec wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>  But the call has to come
> > from  the child first. The mother will not simply pick up the child as
> long as
> > the child is playing comfortably without even remembering her !
>
> IMO, a mother who lets a child suffer just because the child doesn't "call
> out to her" is only craving attention for herself.

I have mentioned  that ' as long as the child is playing comfortably.......'
and not, ' when the child is suffering '. By that I meant  as long as the man
thinks he is happy, he seldom remembers God and thinks of God only when he is
in distress ( the ordinary Bhaktha ). " sankata bandaaga venkataramana ", as
we say in kannada.

> This is an egoistic mother who demands attention from her child before
> offering her love to the child.

Hence there is no question of ego in this. It is just that when the child does
not require mother's presence, she will mind other jobs, all the while
keeping  a watchful eye and ear upon the child.  And she is always there ready
to take care of it when situation requires. Similarly God is also watching
everyone with love and concern. He readily answers when bhaktha calls Him.

> Ramana has also said that real love is the Self: "The love between two
> people can never endure. The love that we seek is our real nature. The
> Self is love, God is love."  (`The teachings of Ramana Maharshi,' by
> Arthur Osborne).

Yes, very true. That Love or God or Self or Atma is veiled by ignorance. The
bhaktha or the seeker has to make an attempt to seek that truth / to remove
this veil.  It does not reveal by itself. This is what I meant by ' the call
has to come from the child/bhaktha first '. The child only has to gesture by
raising both its hands and,  lo! mother comes rushing towards it to pick up
the child. Bhaktha has only to remember Him and He responds immediately.

Regards,
Hari Om,
Latha Vidyaranya