Lexical analysis of the word "Brahman"

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 21 17:16:20 CST 2000

Hello :

  I would like to know how the word "Brahman" is explained.
I am specifically interested in knowing about the meaning
of the root "Brih".  I have seen two different contexts.
a) "Brih" = expand, grow.
b) "Brih" = Great, majestic

Why is this so?

Thanks,