Advaita and Christianity

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 23 16:37:16 CST 2000

In a different thread,
 "Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?",
 ShrI Cowart wrote:
> There is a strong non-dual tradition in Christianity
> (Eckhardt and
> others).
Hello :
  I have been wondering about this for a while. I would
like
to learn more.  I have given a few bits of knowledge that
I have culled.  Any corrections and/or comments are
welcome.

I. Gnosis and Pistis
--------------------
  Since Early Christian theology was mostly influenced by
Greek philosophy most Christian terms are Greek.  I have
specifically come across two that have caught my attention.
Gnosis = Realization = Jnana ( Is it so? )
Pistis = Faith ( I don't know the Sanskrit equivalent ).
It is possible that there was some Indian influence on
Greek
philosophy, especially since Pythogras had studied in
India.
  Only recently did I learn about the Gnostic school of
Christianity ( from a Hollywood movie, no less ).  It seems
that this school was quite popular in the early days but
was
later persecuted by the doyens of orthodoxy.  They
emphasize
inner-realization ( Gnosis ).It also seems that a papal
bull
was passed that outlawed Gnosis and established only
pistis.

II. Dogma and Kerygma
  These are two more terms which might have some
commonality
with Indian thought.  Specifically, Is
  Dogma = Dharma and Kerygma = Karma?

Thanks in advance,