Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?

elmec elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Sat Mar 25 12:50:09 CST 2000

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, elmec wrote:
>

> > Some day the jiiva realises that it is trapped by the bait that is laid out to
> > his five senses every day , every minute of its life.

> The question is how does he realize this?  I'm sure it has not escaped
> anyones attention that most people in the world are quite content to enjoy
> the pleasures of the senses for their entire lives.

Yes, as you say, most of the people gladly surrender themselves to the
sensual
pleasures thinking that it is the ultimate happiness that they can
derive. But there
are some like us ( List members !) who sense a cord of discontent even
amidst all
the pleasures and feel something amiss somewhere. It is such jiivas who
start
inquiring into the nature of pleasures and pains.

> To answer my own question, it is through listening and apprehending the
> meaning of the shastras that a shift in perspective occurs.

I think, in most of the cases of  Sadhakas, this shift in perspective
occurs
intuitively once they sense the vacuum amidst apparent fullness. They
start
questioning the meaning of this drama called life, the significance of
their own
role in it, who the director of this play is ? ? ? etc etc .  It is then
that they
turn towards shastra / a Guru / some elderly person who would be able to
answer this
sudden spring of doubts that has arisen in his mind. If it is a lady who
turns a
jignaasu  shastra is the last thing as she would seldom have direct
access to it.

Regards,
Hari Om,
Latha Vidyaranya