panchayatana puja

Raghavendra Hebbalalu hs_raghavendra at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 28 14:29:57 CST 2000

The shaNmathas are shaiva, vaishNava, shAkta, soura,
gANApatya and koumAra. The Panchayatana pUja applies
to the daily pUja the devotee does at home. I remember
someone mentioning on the list sometime ago that
Shanmukha is used instead of sUrya in some places in
Tamilnadu. But then, the Agama mode of worship in
ancient temples had to be regulated too. So, I think
that Sri Shankara refined the prevalent ShaNmathas
(the Agamic worship included). Examples to this are
numerous, some of them being
ShringEri,Kanchi,Guruvayoor,Badrinath, and even
Shabarimalai, the abode of dharmashAsta.

Members are welcome to add/correct.

Regards,
Raghavendra.