your mail

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri May 5 01:04:40 CDT 2000

>I have a question>
>      Swami Vivekananda has said that before creation there was prakriti in
>unmanifested state called 'Avyaktam'
>      where all three forces 'tamas,Rajas ans sattva' are  held in perfect
>equilibrium.>      Is this avyaktam same as brahman?

In Advaita all manifestation is only in the vyavahAra. In its absolute
sense, Brahman has no manifestations.

>No.  Even in its unmanifest state, matter is maya, a false >superimposition
>on changeless Brahman.  This is in contrast to Samkhya/Yoga which >teaches
>a kind of dualism where Prakrti is equal and completely distinct from
>Purush (their equivalent of Brahman) which is just an inert observer.--

Again in its vyavahAra logic, Advaita teaches the distinctness of prAkriti
and individual purushas. But it also teaches that they're all contained in
Brahman. This is pretty similar to VisishtAdvaita theory.

It should also be understood that mAyA doesn't mean illusion in the normal
sense. SamsAra is mAyA only because it is ultimately unintelligible (so
there's a lot of logic behind mAyA and it's not a mere dogmatic assertion).
As it is unintelligible SamsAra is neither real nor non-real.

>An interesting view is that of Sri Aurobindo. The prakriti-maya in
> >potential
>is intrinsic in Brahman. It is not some external veil for there could >be
>nothing 'other'.-----Original Message-----

For Advaitins, Aurobindo should be touched with a long stick and very
carefully at that. Ultimately we hold that only knowledge can liberate,
while Aurobindo thinks it is only some pseudo psychological release and not
the real release (see his "synthesis of yoga"). By this he's totally
undermined the jnAna tradition which preceded the bhakti movement by more
than two thousand years.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.