Some Clarification

Rajesh Venkataraman rajesh_venk at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 10 20:14:51 CDT 2000

--- "Bhaskar Y.R." <bhaskar.yr at IN.ABB.COM> wrote:
> In Sandhya Vandane we everyday recite following
> verse:
> SHIVAYA VISHNU RUPAYA SHIVA RUPAYA VISHNUVE,
> SHIVASCHA HRUDAYAM VISHNU
> VISHNUSCHA HRUDAYAM SHIVAHA, YETA SHIVAMAYO VISHNU,
> YEVAM VISHNUMAYAH
> SHIVAHA and so on
>
> Kindly let me know the origin of this verse.

This verse is new to me(I am from Tamil Nadu) and is
not part of my SandhyA vandana(which has its origins
in the Sukla Yajur Veda). But to me the verse sounds
perfectly advaitic.

Can you let us know how our ISKCON friends interpret
this verse and reconcile it with
"SarvadharmAn parityajya mAmEkam SaraNam vraja
aham tvA sarva pApebhyO mokshayishyAmi mA shuchah"

If 'mAmEkam' is to be taken to mean the physical
entity Krishna(who is an avatAra of Vishnu), how can
he become Shiva? As far as I know physical
characteristics are always unique and no one can
become any other. And if you take Shiva and Vishnu to
be one and the same as indicated by the verse what is
it that 'links' the two?

Advaita's explanation is that the Atman(in the
subjective plane), which is the essence of every being
is identical in all beings, and physical
characteristics are just incidental and they obtain
their present form(whatever it is) due to their
prArabdhA.

> that time. So, he had to preach
> this lower but deviant philosophy, in order to
> gradually bring the atheists into
> the  spiritual  realm.

Here you say that the Lord incarnated as Acharya
Sankara to wean the people away from the hold of
Buddhism by introducing them to the "lower" philosophy
of advaita so that they can gradually graduate to
"merging with the supreme lord"(whatever it means). If
that is so, (that the lord came to teach a lower
philosophy to help people grow) why should it be then
condemned later?

> Srila Prabhupada further explains, "How the mayavada
> philosophy was condemned by
> Sri    Caitanya    Mahaprabhu    and    His
> followers

Do you ever condemn Kindergarten and all lower classes
just because you have become a graduate now? All those
classes were absolutely essential at that point of
time!

> "The mayavada philosophy is impious. It is covered
> Buddhism. My dear Parvati, in
> the  form  of  a  brahmana  in  the  Kali  yuga  I
> teach  the imagined mayavada
> philosophy.  In  order to cheat the atheists, I
> describe the Supreme Personality
> of  Godhead  to  be without form and without
> qualities. Similarly, in explaining
> the  Vedanta  I  describe  the  same mayavada
> philosophy in order to mislead the
> entire population toward atheism by denying the
> personal form of the Lord."

Here you quote that the Lord incarnated to misguide
people and increase population in the planet. Why
would the God take so much pains to incarnate to
MISLEAD people. What does he gain by doing that? If he
is a really compassionate lord why doesn't he guide
the errant ones on to the right path? Is he not
sadistic otherwise? Doesn't he have anything better to
do? How better is he than the Asuras? Even in our
Puranas the Lord incarnates only to help the Devas(who
are supposed to be good beings) and never to
'misguide' the Asuras. It is always only to teach the
Asuras a lesson so that they may improve.

Finally is it for guiding or misguiding that the Lord
incarnated?

Rajesh

http://im.yahoo.com/

--