Lord Narasimha Jayanthi

Mon May 15 21:59:31 CDT 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000, V V S Mani wrote:

> Namaskarams.
> When is Lord Shri Narasimha Jayanthi?? I think tomorrow is the smartha one
> and day after is Vaishnava one.

Yes Tuesday is the day according to the panchang I use.

>  Are we supposed to fast tomorrow? In iskcon,it is day after tomorrow
> and they do fasting till sunset and then feast. Our family deity is
> Lord Shri Ramachandra Moorthy and in our house, there is no practice
> of observing Shri Narasimha Jayanthi.

Well, you should follow your families customs in this matter.  Even if you
don't fast, it would be a good idea (for all of us actually) to do puja to
Narsimha Bhagawan.  When all hope seemed lost, He manifested to save His
Bhakta Prahlad from his evil father Hiranyakashipu.  Hiranyakashipu had
achieved blessings that made him well-nigh indestructible but he could not
withstand the awesome power of Bhagwan.

Shankaracharya has written a stotra called LakshmiNarasimhakaravalamba
stotram in praise of the divine couple Lakshmi-Narasimha.  (There is a
tradition that they were his kuladevatas.)  If you look in the list
archives, you can find a copy of it with English translation and
commentary by Anand Hudli.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.