Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun May 21 08:41:30 CDT 2000

>Jnana/Bhakti (which is defined
>in a particular manner in the works of Sri Ramanuja like the
>Vedarthasamgraha, the Shri Bhashya) is still the means of Salvation.

Vishal, the distinction that I made between Advaita and other schools of
VedAnta is not one of karma Vs jnAna, but bhakti Vs jnAna.

JnAna mArga implicitly accepts mans own ability to find the reality by
himself and within himself. This is the basis of Advaita where there is no
other apart from oneself to worship or seek refuge in. One knows one's own
Self to be the Absolute.

While in bhakti the sAdhaka seeks refuge in the power of Ishwara to liberate
him from samsAra. Here there's an other to seek refuge in and worship and
the implicit denial of man's own power to liberate himself.