An outline of the Chandi Path

Wed Oct 4 23:21:38 CDT 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Ashish Chandra wrote:

> Thanks for the writeup Jaldhar.
>

> >Chandi Path means the text concerning the Goddess Chandi.  It is also
> >called Durga Saptashati or 700 verses related to the Goddess Durga and
> >Devi Mahatmya or Glory of the Goddess.
> >

> Check out this link and see if this is the Chandi Path you had asked to be
> performed.. In the book Durga Saptashati, there is the Devi Sukta and Tantra
> Sukta that need to be recited. Should that be done as well (it actually
> mentions that Devi sukta, Tantra Sukta and another one, need to be recited).
>
> http://www.alkhemy.com/sanskrit/doc_devii/doc_devii.html

That's the one.  But it's incomplete.  It lacks the rahasya trayi and the
Rshi, devata, chhanda, viniyoga and dhyana for each stotra, adhyaya and
charita.

What I described is only the basic path for daily recital.  There are
other rites such as devi sukta, ratri sukta, khadga nyasa, various other
nyasas and homa that have to be done.  Also for Navaratri you have to do
ghata sthapana, samkalpa etc.  Then there are even more elaborate
vidhis such as Navachandi, Shatchandi and Sahasrachandi.  But these things
should be learned from a learned Guru not a mailing list!

> Not sure but the episode of Rishi Yajnavalkya with his guru Vaishampayana
> caused the former to vomit out the Yajur Veda which came out black.
> Vaishampayan's disciples turned into birds and picked up the Yajur Veda
> again. Perhaps Rishi Jaimini too did that. Not sure if there is a relation.

I don't know.  It would be worth a look.

> >the story of the eighth Manu called Savarni that the chapters of the
> >Chandi Path occur.
> >

> This is the Vaivasvata Manvantara of the Svetvaarah kalpa - the 7th
> manvantara isn't it?

Yes.  There are 14 Manvantaras in each kalpa.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.