Adhyaatmic significance of navaraatri

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 6 07:21:09 CDT 2000

>However, I just wanted you to know that there are instances, even in >the
>Veda, where substitutes are talked of, because ultimately, the >doer, the
>deed, the result etc are all the same Brahman, the truth.

I've read that it was MAdhvAchArya who took great efforts to stop the
practice of killing animals at rituals and also suggested that substitutes -
like clay figurines - could be used instead.

But according to a shAstri that I met recently in Madras - Vedic rituals
involving animal sacrifices are still performed by brAhmanas in Tamil Nadu
on special occasions. He used the word "shrauta" in this regard, but am not
sure whether it has any connection with the shrauta sUtras.