Bhagavata Purana postings: How to continue?

Thu Oct 12 16:35:56 CDT 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Swaminarayan T wrote:

> Dear shri Jaldhar,
>
> Do Kathakars usually skipover adhyatmic topics? I am asking this since
> I have not had the opportunity to listen to any discourse pertaining
> to Bhagavatham. I would request you to post such portions of the
> Bhagavatham which will be conducive to SELF Realisation.

That was perhaps a bad choice of words on my part.  The whole of Bhagavata
Purana deals with adhyatmic topics.  But those kathakars I've listened to
usually concentrate on the 10th and 11th skandhas (which deal with the
life of Krishna Bhagawan) and quickly skip through the rest.  (Though In
their defense, that is what most people are interested in hearing about.)
Also if they are not Advaitins, they naturally will not want to dwell on
parts dealing with atmavidya.

This has led to a state of affairs where people will dismiss the Bhagavata
as low-level and not interesting for people interested in philosophy.  I
aim to show that actually it teaches jnana and karma as well as bhakti and
there is much that can be learned from it.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.