New member introduction: Sri Chaitanya Bhagavat

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 7 15:29:36 CDT 2000

--- "S. V. Subrahmanian" <svskotra at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> Shri Bhagavat wrote:
>

> [Eg., When Sri Yukteswar Giri was teaching P. Yogananda, he once
> blessed him
> with a samAdhi-experience (maybe to give him an idea), but after some
> time
> rudely woke him from that bliss, and asked him to sweep the floor and
> clean
> the balcony!]

Context of this quote is not correct. Paramahansa Yogananda (PY), even
before meeting Yukteshwar had meditated a lot. For instance, Master
Mahasaya (M of Gospel of Ramakrishna Paramahamsa) in chapter 9
intercedes for him and gives a vision of parashakti and also gives him
a samadhi experience. Besides, PY gets also a vision of krishna before
he meets his guru.

What his guru is trying to teach here that he should be balanced.
Because swami yogananda is God-intoxicated from childhood, he neglected
many things like his studies.  His guru taught him the importance of
carrying on the worldy mission as well. It was because of Swami
Yukteshwar giri, Yogananda completed his Bachelor's degree (he was more
or less forced to) and also he started his yogoda sat sangha. So PY was
not a new student or something like that when he met his guru. In fact,
babaji promises yukteshwar to send a great one to spread the gospel of
raja yoga.  For the same reason, kanchi periyava shrii shrii
chandrasekharendra saraswathy, in one of his quotes on PY, says that
"Such a great soul comes to earth only rarely, when there is a great
need among men". That one sentence from periyava convinced me to take
the three year course offered by SRF/YSS. More than yoga, his teachings
lighted the lamp of devotion in my heart. I am eternally grateful for
that.

Ravi

=====
ambaaL daasan