Fwd: Re: Purush and Prakrti (Was New member introduction: Sri Graham McNamara)

Mon Sep 25 16:50:48 CDT 2000

>>On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Ashish Chandra wrote:
>>
>> > why don't you think the tika is genuine? Madhav-Vidyaranya Digvijaya
>> > lists it as one of his works.

To supplement Jaldhar's comments, the yoga-sUtra-bhAshya-vivaraNa is not
listed as Sankara's composition in the digvijaya. The text must be
distinguished from the commentary on the adhyAtma-paTala of the Apastambha
dharmasUtras. The latter is listed in the digvijaya, and is widely studied.

In 1998, I asked Swami Bharati Tirtha, the Sringeri Sankaracharya, about the
sub-commentary on the yogasUtras. His comment was that although the text is
indeed written from an Advaita perspective, it has not been acknowledged as
a genuine work within the tradition. Among modern and contemporary academic
scholars, opinion is divided. I see no point in thrusting "genuineness" upon
a text that is not traditionally well-known, while simultaneously asserting
that other texts traditionally attributed to Sankara are not genuine. Still,
there you go - academia can sometimes be very funny! But purely from the
doctrinal perspective, for seeing how the yogasUtras can be useful for
Advaita practice, the text needs to be studied in depth. There is an
excellent English translation by Trevor Leggett. It would be good if Mr.
McNamara can share his studies of the text on our list.

Vidyasankar

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org