Fwd: Re: Purush and Prakrti (Was New member introduction: Sri Graham McNamar

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 26 13:17:52 CDT 2000

-> >is just my gut-feeling.  I am surprised to learn of the mention in> the
> >Madhavia Dig-vijaya.  This could alter my opinion.  Do you know the>
>exact
> >reference?> >

Ravi wrote:
<<<
There is a mention  (see 93-97 verses, almost at the end) which says
that shankara at badari taught his commentary of sutra-s to students of
patanjali school. Then it says, they accepted his doctrine is better
and correct than their own (I am using my words, refer to the
original). If you can not find this, I can give you the page number,
etc tomorrow.

Here you could take the sutra-s to be brahma suutra-s or yoga suutra-s.
The English translation I have does not mention what suutra-s
explicitly.  One could argue for both.

I read the translation by Svami Tapasyananda which was published by
Advaita-Ashram. If I remember correctly, this translation does mention the
Sutras of Patanjali explicitly. I have this book back in NJ but if any
member has access to this book, they can probably look up the reference that
Ravi has kindly provided.

ashish