Lord Krishna and Yadavs

Mon Dec 24 09:39:05 CST 2001

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, ravi chandrasekhara wrote:

> The Yadavs have been prominent in the media lately.
> Who are they exactly ? I've heard they  belong to the
> Sudra varna but are descendents of Krishna.

Shri Krishnas' Yadavas were all destroyed by the Rshis curse shortly
before his departure from this world.

Regardless of their origin their have been some prominent Yadava Kings in
recent Indian history.  A Yadava dynasty ruled Devagiri (modern
Daulatabad, Maharashtra) in the 13th century.  They were destroyed by
Alauddin Khilji and Malik Kafur.  The great Shivaji was a
descendent of those kings through his mothers side.  Another Yadava king
of Navsari (n Gujarat) was the one who welcomed the Parsis to India after
they fled Iran.

[...]
> What varna did Nanda and Yashoda belong to being
> cow-hearders ?

Nandalala is said to be a Vaishya but whether this is in the Bhagavata or
some other text/tradition I don't remember right now.