[Advaita-L] buddhism vs pUrva mImAmsa

Thu Jul 5 23:04:23 CDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Rajesh Venkataraman wrote:

> Please see
> http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part12/chap3.htm
>
> I request learned members to elaborate, if possible,
> on what has been said in 'Tarkapadam' and
> 'Bauddhadhikaram' that Paramacharya mentions.

Both these works are big and complex so this is just a capsule summary.

Tarkapada is the first pada of the first adhyaya of the Purvamimamsa
Sutras of Maharshi Jaimini.  Kumrila Bhattas' commentary on it is called
Shlokavarttika.  As the name suggests it establishes the logical and
philosophical basis for Purva Mimamsa.

Bauddhadhikkara (In Sanskrit 'dhik' is an epithet indicating disgust so
the title can be translated as "Reproach to the Buddhists") is the
nickname of Nyaya Kusumanjali in which Udayana argues for the existence of
God.