A question on manifestation of maya

swamy swarna swamyswarna at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 5 10:48:50 CST 2002

dear shree swaqminarayan,

thanks for the input. when u use the word aastika, u
probably mean one who believes in the existence of the
God. in the discussion, what is being discussed is the
apparent maya or illusion of the duality of jiva from
the brahman. so we do accept the existence of brahman
is it not?

and while the analogy of awakening and dream state is
very apt and clarifies many points, is talking of a
dream state within another dream state all that apt?
is is not stretching our imagination too far? and why
discuss about the reality or non-reality of the pancha
maha bhootas? in advaita marga, all the bhootas are
considered to be projections of the atman, isn't it?
and that the jivatma thinks itself to be separate from
the paramatma, due to maya, avidya?

it is like a single atom in a crystal lattice thinking
itself to be separate from all other atoms in the
lattice, isn't it? from a limited viewpoint, of the
individual atom, that picture or viewpoint is real, or
true, but from a higher or multi-dimensional point of
view, that atom is just one of many which makes up the
crystal. so, jeevatma is feeling itself to be
different from the paramatma, only due to its limited
consciousness, which can be called maya or avidya. and
the bonds, which hold the atom in its state are the
very links, with which a sentient being in that atom
can connect to all other atoms!

thus, with removal of avidya, the jivatma expands its
consciousness and realises that it is actually part of
a harmonious whole and that there is no real or
fundamental difference between it and other atoms.

i don't know whether the above is logically rigorous
or not. i was just trying to point out in my previous
mail that analogies like the blue sky can be
interpreted or explained through physical laws and so
may not be the ideal vehicles for conveying abstract
philosophical ideas.

thanks to all the group members for their patience and
for correcting errors if any.

swamy sv