$)CRe: Re: $)CRe: Re: Shankaracharya on Ramana Maharshi

Wed Apr 17 22:36:34 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, $)CHemant wrote:

>   ''Although Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita Vedanta both teach nondualism, the
> non-dualism of Kashmir Shaivism is quite different from that of Advaita
> Vedanta. Essential to this difference is Advaita Vedanta's proposition that
> this universe is untrue and unreal, that it is a false projection of maya.
> This theory is completely opposed to the Kashmir Shaiva theory of reality.
> To counter this proposition Kashmir Shaivism argues that, if Shiva is real,
> how could an unreal substance emerge from something that is real? If Shiva,
> the ultimate essence of existence, is real, his creation must also be real.
> For the Kashmir Shaiva this universe is just as real as its creator.''
>
>  I hope this extract from the Kashmir Shaivism web-site will be found
> helpful.

which web site is this?  I would like to read more.

An Advaitin rejoinder to the above is that an unreal substance is not a
substance at all.  It is simply a faulty perception of the observer.  Just
as the amn stumbling in the dark sees a snake where there is a rope.  We
do not say the snake emerged from the rope.  If anywhere it emerged from
the mans' thoughts.  Advaita Vedanta most emphatically does not say the
world is unreal.  It is real but misunderstood and it is the lack of
understanding which leads to the superimposition of false ideas like
creation ad destruction.