The importance of sampradaya

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 25 08:10:44 CDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 22:54:49 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

>[was Re: New member introduction: B. Sandeep ]
>
>> Being a smarta myself (I don't
>> know how politically correct this sounds, but I don't think it makes a
>> difference),
>
>The difference it makes is sociological not philosophical.  Ideas cannot
>propogate themselves, they need people to carry them on.  To be a Smarta
>is to be part of that community dedicated to preserving the authentic
>Vedic teachings as explained by Shankaracharya.  Sure other people can
>get involved but it is our special mission and regardless of when
>"tourists" come and go, we will remain to keep this tradition alive.

I thought Smartas were those that followed the Smritis, not necessarily
followers of Adi Shankaracharya and his line. For example, we follow the
smritis but I don't know if I have ever heard that we are followers of his
tradition, even though there is much reverence for the Jyotirmath Peetha.

ashish