Keeping Shikha [was Re: Sannyasins & cutting of the hair?]

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 9 23:24:41 CDT 2002

Dear Manian,

(This is how I used to address a friend who was also S
V Subhramanian)

My upanayana was postponed by over a year because I
simply refused to cut my hair and sport the sikha.
However I was finally forced to undergo the ritual.

As a protest I refused to wear the sacred thread and I
still don't wear it!

I am personally against all outward signs of religion.

Religion is your own inner conviction I think. However
each is entitled to his views.

Do you know that even a sannyasin has to fight the ego
of "I am a sannyasin" and it seems it is very hard to
get over and is also a big hindrance to realisation.

Regards

Jagannath
--- "Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT]"