Keeping Shikha [was Re: Sannyasins & cutting of the hair?]

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 10 01:26:39 CDT 2002

--- Srikrishna Ghadiyaram
<srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> Hari Om !!
>
> I am surprised about your attitude.
>
> On one count, you say that "Do you know that even a
> sannyasin has to fight the ego"
>
> and you still advocate "As a protest I refused to
> wear
> the sacred thread and
> I still don't wear it! "
>
> "Religion is your own inner conviction I think.
> However each is entitled to his views."
>
> What do you call this fallacy !!
>
> The above statements are not only EGOTIC, but also
> ARROGANT.

I am neither Srikrishnaji. These are of course my
views on the subject. In my childhood days I was both
deeply religious and also an atheist. I was religious
in the sense I had the firm conviction that my sojourn
in this world was never for solely materialistic ends.
There had to be a deeper meaning. I was an atheist
because I was subject to a lot of physical pain and
therefore could not have faith in the concept of an
all merciful God. You can imagine my inner conflict at
that time. Here was a child who was raring to go the
spiritual way but had to face obstructions every inch
of the path.

> Consider the otherside of the view, What is wrong in
> having an outward sign if that represents your inner
> conviction ?????

There is absolutely nothing wrong in that but the
outward sign must be commensurate with the inner
conviction. An imbalance may be very dangerous.

> In the process you have hurt your parents, your
> teachers, and followers and dharma.

I don't have any followers though many of my friends
do seek my suggestions (only suggestions mark it). My
parents, my teacher and the dharma were surely hurt.
But both my parents and teacher were very patient with
me. Moreover my horoscope also indicated a deeply
religious trend. This was their sole hope.

> Just a few days ago you were telling a sloka saying
> that you do not want to hurt anyone ??? Where is
> practice ???

I still think a thousand times before even hurting a
fly. My compassionate nature is a boon to my friends.
I am especially very much hurt while coming across the
atrocities heaped on the have-nots. This is the sole
reason I speak out against the varnashrama. We trample
upon the very people who were instrumental to our
progress.

Regards

Jagannath.