Powers of a Jnani

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Aug 15 11:06:27 CDT 2002

Namaste Kiran,

I am still a novice at advaita vedanta, but let me try to answer your
questions. This and other subsequent posts will also clear my own
understanding. I am sure the knowledgable members of the list will correct
me if I am wrong. I have changed the subject line to a more descriptive
heading.

First of all, advaita makes a distinction between nirguna brahman, which is
the Atman and the Ultimate and the Turya state, and saguna brahman, Who is
Ishvara (Ishvara is nothing but nirguna brahman viewed as possessing
qualities). It is Ishvara who controls maya, creates this world etc at the
vyavaharika level. On the level of nirguna brahman, the paramarthika level,
nothing but nirguna brahman (=atman) exists; no maya, no world, no people
etc. On the level of saguna brahman, Ishvara, this world and everybody
exists individually. Seen from the point of view of a jnani, the world is
seen as if it were a dream. I think the following analogy would be quite
similar to this relation:

(turya:waking state) :: (waking state:dream state)

>According to Advaita, the braHmavid is braHman. That
>is,
>
>braHmavid = braHman.

true. brahmavid = nirguna brahman

>It is clear to me that through the destruction of
>avidyA it is possible for a braHmavid to attain the
>braHman to whom satya, jnana and anatatva are
>attributed. However, it is not clear to me if the
>braHmavid can do anything wonderful in this material
>world at all. I mean, do his powers in the material
>world remain as limited as they were before the
>removal of the veil of avidyA? If the braHmavid was an
>athlete and he could complete 100m in 10s in a state
>of avidyA, can he do it in, let's say 2s when the
>avidyA is removed?

Once the nirguna brahman, the Ultimate, is reached, why would a jnani, who
has cast off all attachments to this world and in fact sees it as unreal,
want to use his powers? The jnani definitely would have attained all powers
to be attained (except creation of the universe).

>If the entire universe is the maayaa of the braHman,
>it is clear that the braHmavid has the entire maayaa
>in his command.

No, he doesn't. Maya is always controlled by Ishvara. The jnani doesn't
become Ishvara, he "becomes" nirguna brahman.

>The entire universe is a game he
>plays, and he is free to choose the laws that govern
>this game. If he chooses, he can see to it that when
>we wake up tomorrow, water when heated actually turns
>into ice - and this, for everybody in the world we
>know.

The jnani might have the siddhis to turn heated water into ice, but why
would he want to use them?

>Question 1: Am I right in the above analysis? Does the
>braHmavid have this sort of control over the material
>world which is all his maayaa? Can he change (for
>example) the rules of Physics (which are well within
>maayaa) as we know?

He has some control over maya through siddhis, but he will not use it,
unless there's a good reason, like for the good of the world.

>Question 2: If yes, where and in which scriptures is
>there mention of such powers being gained by the
>braHmavid?

If I am not mistaken, the Brahmasutra has a section where the powers of a
liberated person are described. The liberated person obtains all the powers
of brahman except that of Creation (of the universe). (Actually, I'm not
sure whether this applies only to a person who has attained brahmaloka or to
a jivanmukta also).

>Question 3: If not, does it mean that the braHmavid,
>with his braHmavidyaa, has still to bow to maayaa? And
>hence that we cannot equate the braHmavid to braHma?
>And does that mean a flaw in Advaita?

Certainly, a brahmavid feels pain etc. The only difference is, (s)he knows
that all these feelings are transitory and unreal. When you have a dream,
till you know it is a dream, you experience everything as if it were real.
Once you realise that it is only a dream, you can control some parts of the
dream etc, and you realise that all experiences in the dream are unreal.

When a brahmavid bows to maya, he will do so as a surrender to the power of
Ishvara at the vyavaharika level.

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan