Gayatri - Info from Ravi Chandrasekhara MD

ravi chandrasekhara vadhula at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 15 23:22:55 CDT 2002

Dear All,

I have a copy of the Gayatri Shaapa mantra, in
Sanskrit printed in the Kannada Lipi.  My father told
me it was seek remedy from the shaapa of Vashista and
Vishwamitra. It is recited during Sandhyavandana after
Dhyanam but before reciting Gayatri mantra.
Supposedly Gayatri mantra will have no effect/ or less
effect unless this shaapa mantra is said beforehand.
In addition it must be remembered that recitation of
Gayatri mantra is limited male Braahman, Kshatriya,
and Vaisya males and that too only after upanayana.
It is not something that can given wili-nily to
anyone. I have heard the shaapa mantra is there to
deter that those who do not traditionally have
right/responsibility to the Gayatri mantra.

Pranam, Ravi Chandrasekhara MD

Ravi Chandrasekhara MD