Tenets of Samkhya

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 20 14:12:41 CDT 2002

>> This concept of multiple Purushas should be treated with care.
>> Could the great Patanjali have postulated the existence of
>> independent, real, multiple Purushas. According to some legends
>> Patanjali was the guru of Gaudapada.
>
>Note this legend is relativelely recent.  It comes from Patanjalavijaya
>Mahakavya of Ramabhadra Dikshita.

This is indeed the only written source of this legend. However, note that
in this work, Patanjali is the author of the Mahabhashya in the Paninian
grammar tradition. As far as I can remember, Ramabhadra Dikshita mentions
nothing about the Yogasutra-s, although people tend to equate the Patanjali
of the Yoga school with the Patanjali of the grammarian tradition.

Vidyasankar