Summary (of "Question", "braHmavid=Krishna?" series of mails) (fwd)

Kiran B R kiranbr at ROCKETMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 28 06:13:22 CDT 2002

Namaste Kathi,

I'm afraid you may be right in saying that my
definition of a jivanmukta sounds like an
impossibility. Perhaps it's wrong to call the person
of my definition as a jIvanmukta. Many of our friends
pointed out that I'm talking about an avatAra. It
might be that I'm talking about an avatAra. But in
that case, I don't know why anybody cannot become one.

I do not know of any examples of such a person in our
tradition. But I have heard that Bhagavan Krishna was
such a person. Sri Shankara himself says (in his
gItAbhAShya) that Krishna descended on the Earth by
the control of Maya and not because of previous karma
like normal people. And we hear of a lot of feats of
Krishna (in the Mahabharata) which are clearly classed
as impossibilities by modern Science.

Even if such a person has never existed and even if
Krishna was not known to have performed such feats,
what prevents anybody who has attained the braHman
from performing such feats? Is there any incapability
in him?

I have two Vedanta teachers. They are Sri Adi
Shankaracharya and Swami Vivekananda, and my interface
with them is the printed media. But as pointed out by
one of our friends on the list, I'm not sure if they
consider me worthy enough of being their student!

-Kiran