World-view as dream

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 3 14:09:10 CST 2002

>It is not correct to say that every entity in a dream has to have a
>referent
>in the "world out there" as seen in the waking state. In a dream, one can
>imagine various kinds of monsters that do not exist.

Sure. But even those imagined objects have to have some base in the
experential world for the mind to be able to envision them. For eg even in
an non-existent example like "horns of a rabbit" we have experienced horns
and rabbits (albeit seperately) and that's the base on which the
non-existent example is conceptualized. Even planes were "dreamt up" with
birds in mind. Simply put it seems that the mind can only think of that
which exists - atleast in parts.